The Sarasota County Property Appraiser's office is seeking a Commercial Appraiser to join our dedicated team of professionals.
This full-time position located in our Sarasota office is professional work in the mass appraisal of commercial real property in Sarasota County. Activities include property inspection and collection of field and market data, research, organization, analysis, and interpretation of market data in order to establish just values for real property; discussions about and explanations of value with taxpayers, and preparation of single property assessment reviews for oral presentation in Value Adjustment Board public hearings or legal challenges to value.
We value internal advancement and encourage employees to pursue IAAO training and designations.
We are located in beautiful Sarasota County and our employees enjoy the opportunity to participate in a flexible work schedule. In addition, we offer great benefits which include insurance, wellness and retirement plan options.
Essential Job Functions:
· Analyze, appraise, and review commercial real property using standard appraisal practices and procedures; travel to property locations, measure, photograph and assemble necessary records and field data; work closely with property owners, builders and developers. This includes a competent understanding and application of the income, sales and cost approaches to value.
· Input commercial property information into the CAMA system (Computer Assisted Mass Appraisal). Utilize other software as needed, included GIS applications, and Microsoft Office suite.
· Understanding of generally accepted appraisal practice and Florida Statute 193.011.
· Research, review, and verify vacant and improved sales. Review deeds, listings, sale surveys and other documents to determine if sales should be qualified. Determine and apply appropriate sale qualification codes.
· Support values at Value Adjustment Board hearings. Assemble and organize data and analyses in preparation for depositions and testimony related to Circuit Court challenges.
· Consult in person and by telephone with taxpayers and other representatives to resolve appraisal and administrative problems; explain assessment criteria; answer questions regarding property values, appraisal techniques and statutory requirements.
· Assist with developing and maintaining commercial property valuation models including income modeling and CAMA adjustments.
· Establish effective working relationships with staff and act professionally and courteously when dealing with the public, staff of other agencies, or co-workers.
· Other duties as assigned
· High school or recognized equivalent. Further degree (Associates or Bachelors) from an accredited college or university in Business Administration, Real Estate, Finance, Accounting, or Economics is preferred. Varying combinations of education and experience will satisfy required minimums.
· A minimum of five (5) years of varied technical appraisal experience and a CFE or related professional appraisal designation or state certification.
· Required knowledge of highest and best use theory; must be able to utilize the income, cost and sales comparison approaches to determine market value of commercial properties.
· Competent in the use of computers, databases, word processing and spreadsheets is required. Ability to use MS office suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, TEAMS) comfortably and knowledgeably.
· Effective verbal and written communication skills.